The Add User screen allows you to create new users with the following options:
- User Name. The user’s username. For example, jjohnson (Joe Johnson). It is recommended to use the first initial plus last name wherever possible.
- First Name. The user’s first name.
- Last Name. The user’s last name.
- Password. The user’s password. SmartCabinet® will automatically generate passwords for new users if New User Automatic Password Generation is set to Yes in the New User Notifications Screen. If this parameter is set to No, you must supply a password of at least eight characters. If Users Must Change Password on Next Logon is selected, the user will be forced to create a new password the first time they log in.
NOTE: The system setting for auto-generation of passwords is under Administration > New User Settings.
User Type. User Types allow you to give different users different degrees of access to features of the system. In general, users should only be able to access the features they really need. For example, most users don’t need any of SmartCabinet’s Administration features because they don’t create and manage users or determine access to content. Users can be assigned to one of four types: All are based on sets of permissions. For example, you can be a Content Admin to one space like HR and a read only user to Finance.
- user. Full Access or Read Only. Generally reads content only. May conduct searches and check content in or out. There are two types of Users “read only” and “full access”. Read only can read the web viewable file of the content only. The full access user can read native file content and check content in and out.
- content-admin. This user was created for people who check content in or out frequently. They can manage folders, content types, and subtypes for the areas they have permissions to.
- user-admin. This user was designed for department heads who want to manage the users and content for their area. They can do anything a user or content admin can do.
- admin. This user has access to do or see anything.
- E-mail Address. The user’s e-mail address.
- Company. The user’s company.
- Phone - Main. The user’s main phone number.
- Phone - Alt. An alternate phone number.
- Fax. The user’s fax number.
- Category. Users can be organized in the system by category. This makes handling large number of users easier. Categories are created in the User Categories screen.
- Expiration Date. The date upon which a user’s account will expire. Use this option when you want to grant temporary access to the system. The precise moment of expiration is midnight on the date selected.
- User Must Change Password on Next Logon. If this item is selected, the user will be prompted to supply a new password the next time they log onto the system. This is used so that users “own” their password, increasing the likelihood of them remembering it.
- User is Never Locked Out. If, while logging into the system, a user types his or her password or username incorrectly three times in a row, SmartCabinet will lock them out. If this item is checked, however, the system will never lock a user out regardless of how many errant login attempts he or she makes.
- User is Locked Out. Occasionally, you may need to deny someone access to the system on a temporary basis. When this item is checked, the user is locked out of the system. This item is not related to the previous item, User is Never Locked Out. That item applies to the process of users attempting to log into the system. This item allows you to manually control an individual user’s access to the system regardless of whether they can log in successfully or not.
- Allow Multiple Select. If this item is checked, users may use multiple selection when working with screens that involve operations applied to users, folders, or content. If this item is not checked, only single selection is available.
- Startup Page. When you click Home on the menu bar, the system takes you to your default startup page. This drop-down menu gives you several different choices as to which page that is.
- E-mail Format. If you choose HTML, all system-generated e-mails will be sent to you in HTML format. If you choose Text, all system-generated e-mails will be sent to you in plain text format.
- Layout. If you select Trays, the left side of your screen will be filled with the trays containing most of SmartCabinet’s features. If you select Top Menus, the tray names become menus and the features of each tray must be accessed by selecting menu items. Unless you’re working on a very narrow screen, you’re probably better off with Trays than you are with Top Menus.
- Skin. You can change the color scheme of SmartCabinet by choosing a different skin from the drop-down menu.
- Search Template. You can view search results several different ways in SmartCabinet. This drop-down menu gives you a variety of options
- Search Form Type. If you select Expanded, you get a wide variety of parameters on which to search. If you select Query Builder, you can create more complicated searches based on SmartCabinet’s built-in query language.
- Default Sort Field. If Release Date is selected, SmartCabinet will sort search results based on that field. If Title is selected, SmartCabinet will sort search results based on that field.
- Default Sort Orders. If Descending is selected, SmartCabinet will order search results from highest to lowest. If Ascending is selected, SmartCabinet will order search results lowest to highest.
- Default Result Count. This is the number of results SmartCabinet will return per page from a search.
- Nightly Notifications. If you select the check box, it will only send you content notification once daily, during the night.
The Actions and Add'l Actions Menu
There are three options available from the Actions and Add'l Actions menu:
- Add. Adds the user to the system. If you’ve elected under new user settings to Send a New User an Email With the Log in Information, two e-mails will be generated. The first will contain the username and URL to log in. The second will contain the password. This follows most password policies. Note that the user must have a valid email address to take advantage of this feature.
- Reset. Resets all parameters to their default values since the last save.
NOTE: It is recommended that you set up a permission right away. Once a user gets their username and password they can log into the application. If permissions are not yet set up they will just see a white screen under Browse Content which may cause confusion.
- Users. Takes you to the Manage Users: Users screen.