Many documents require us to take some action in the future. Think of contract renewals, for example. Unless action is taken prior to the end of the contract, it may expire. Ideally, when you file the contract in SmartCabinet®, you’d like to tell the system something like, “Hey, remind me to review this contract six months before it expires.”
SmartCabinet® has a feature that does exactly this. It’s called Date Notifications. Just as we can associate additional metadata with document Types and Subtypes, we can also associate Date Notifications. When the document is checked in, we set a date on which we want SmartCabinet® to notify us. When that date rolls around, we receive the notification automatically.
To work with Date Notifications, click on Manage Metadata > Date Notifications in the Administration tray.
The Manage Metadata: Date Notifications page shows the list of all Date Notifications in the system in alphabetical order.
Even though you create Date Notifications here, you don’t see their effect until you check in a document at the Content Check In page. Like metadata items, Date Notifications in this list can be associated with Content Types and Subtypes. When a Date Notification is associated with a Content Type and Subtype, it shows up as a set of new fields at the bottom of the Content Check In page.
The Item Actions Menu
For each Date Notification, the following options are available:
- Edit. Takes you to the Manage Date Notifications: Edit Date Notification page where you can change the parameters in a Date Notification.
- Delete. Removes the Date Notification from the system.
The Actions Menu
The Actions menu has the following options:
- Add Date Notification. Takes you to the Manage Date Notifications: Add Date Notification page where you can create a new Date Notification.
The Select Actions Menu
The Select Actions menu has the following options:
- Select All. Selects all Date Notifications by checking their Delete checkboxes.
- Unselect All. Unselects all Date Notifications by unchecking their Delete checkboxes.
- Delete Selected Date Notifications. Removes from the system any Date Notifications for which the Delete checkbox is checked.
The Add'l Actions Menu
The Add'l Actions menu has the following options:
- Content Types. Takes you to the Manage Metadata: Content Types page where you can view the list of Content Types.
- Additional Metadata. Takes you to the Manage Metadata: Additional Metadata page where you can view additional metadata associated with the current Content Type and Subtype.