Workflow Templates are identical to Check In Workflows and Criteria Workflows except for one thing: they don’t do anything by themselves. A workflow template is a complete workflow with steps and their associated users. But it’s never enabled. Instead, it’s used as the basis for creating other workflows.
Let’s say I find myself creating workflows that look something like this: draft > review > revise > edit > approve. Creating this same structure over and over would be time consuming. But if I create it as a Workflow Template, I can start each new workflow I create by simply copying the template into the new workflow.
Because Workflow Templates are so similar to Criteria Workflows and Check In Workflows, this section of the documentation will focus only on features unique to Workflow Templates. For more complete information, see the section on Check In Workflows.
The Manage Workflows: Workflow Templates page shows you all Workflow Templates in the system.
The Item Actions Menu
For each Workflow Template, the following options are available:
- Manage Steps. Takes you to the Workflow Templates: Workflow Steps page where you can create workflow steps for the current template.
- Edit. Takes you to the Workflow Templates: Edit Workflow Template page where you can change the Description of the current workflow.
- Delete. Removes the workflow template from the workflow.
The Actions and Add'l Actions Menu
The Actions and Add'l Actions menu has the following options:
- Add Workflow Template. Takes you to the Workflow Templates: Add Workflow Template page where you can create a new workflow template.
- Check In Workflows. Takes you to the Manage Workflows: Check In Workflow page where you can view all Check In Workflows.
- Criteria Workflows. Takes you to the Manage Workflows: Criteria Workflow page where you can view all Criteria Workflows.