The more ways you can describe your content, the easier it is to work with. Document Types and Subtypes are a great start. But you can go a step further with metadata. Metadata items are additional terms you create within SmartCabinet® that can be associated with your documents. For example, when cataloging resumes, you may want to be able to search them by job position and reviewer. By creating metadata items for these two parameters, SmartCabinet® can be configured to allow you to add these two fields to the Content Check In screen. Then, every time a new resume is checked in, the person checking it in will be prompted to supply the appropriate data.
To add new metadata items into the system, click on Manage Metadata > Additional Metadata in the Administration tray.
The Manage Metadata: Additional Metadata page shows the list of all metadata items in the system in alphabetical order.
Even though you create metadata items here, you don’t see their effect until you check in a document at the Content Check In page. Items in this list are associated with Content Types and Subtypes. When an item is associated with a Content Type and Subtype, it shows up as the label of a new field at the bottom of the Content Check In page whenever you select the associated Content Type and Subtype.
The Item Actions Menu
For each metadata item, the following options are available:
- Edit. Takes you to the Additional Metadata: Edit Metadata page where you can change the name of the metadata label.
- Delete. Removes the metadata item from the system.
- Edit Option List. Takes you to the Additional Metadata: Option List page where you can create an option list. This will only appear if the Metadata type is Text.
The Actions Menu
The Actions menu has the following option:
- Add Metadata. Takes you to the Additional Metadata: Add Metadata page where you can create new metadata items.
The Select Actions Menu
The Select Actions menu has the following options:
- Select All. Selects all metadata items by checking their Delete check boxes..
- Unselect All. Unselects all metadata items by unchecking their Delete check boxes.
- Delete Selected Metadata. Removes from the system any metadata items for which the Delete check box is checked.
The Add'l Actions Menu
The Add'l Actions menu has the following options:
- Content Types. Takes you to the Manage Metadata: Content Types page where you can view the list of Content Types.
- Date Notifications. Takes you to the Manage Metadata: Date Notifications page where you can view date notifications associated with the current Content Type and Subtype.