There may be times when you want to copy content out of SmartCabinet to move it to a different system or to back it up. Archiver provides two tools to accomplish that depending on what you want to do with the data. Archiver takes a copy of your data and the database information and stores it on an FTP site for you to copy down to a local device. Because this data is in database format it is generally unusable by anyone except another database. The format it is saved in allows you to easily import the data back in at a later date. Folder Backup copies the content in it's structural format but does not copy the metadata.
Archiver and Folder Backup are only available to Administrators.
Clicking on Archiver in the Administration>Manage Content tray brings up the Manage Content: Archiver screen.
Here you’ll find a list of all created archives as well as the ability to edit or create new archives.
Name: The name you give the archive. 10 characters, no spaces allowed
Description: A text field to describe your task. 100 characters, spaces allowed
Created by: Inherits the user name of the person logged in.
Last Executed: gives the date and time stamp of the last time an Archive or Folder Backup was executed.
Type: An archive has an Import or an Export type and a Folder Backup is listed as a Folder Backup.
- Export Queue - Off Hours—The archive is ready to run
- Import Queued - Off Hours—The import is ready to run
- Processing—The archive or import is running.
- Completed—The archive or import has been run.
- InActive—The archive or import has been created, but is not
scheduled to run or has ran.
Actions: For each Archive the following options are available
- Export: Takes the data from SmartCabinet as either a copy or entirely and puts it on the FTP site for the client to manage.
- Import: Imports the data back into SmartCabinet in the exact form it was Exported. If you import an archive but something has changed in the structure, like a folder name or a folder is no longer there that was there at the time of archive, the content that was in that folder will be stored under the parent folder.
- Folder Backup: Is a way to do a backup that includes the folder structure. This backup is limited because of the folder path and file name cannot be longer than 260 characters. This also doesn't include any additional metadata that is assigned to the file.
- Preview: Allows you to preview the data you are archiving off before you export to validate you are getting what you want.
- Archive Results: Shows when the archive was preformed, the state of it, how many docs and allows you to see report. Also where you ZIP the archive folder.
- Folder Backup Results: The results of your folder back up. The count, content title, folder and Content ID.
- Add/Edit Parameters: Takes you to the Archiver: Archive Parameters screen where you can set the parameters that determine which files will be in the archive. Note: you will not be able to see parameters you have previously set.
- Delete: Deletes the archive from the list and the content from the FTP site.
Creating an Archive
1. Click Actions>Add Archive Takes you to the Archiver: Add Archive screen where you can create a new Archive.
Complete the following to create the place holder for your Archive and Save the Archive.
Name: The name you give the archive. 10 characters, no spaces allowed, cannot have duplicate names.
Description: A text field to describe your task. 80 characters, spaces allowed
Archive Folder Structure: Archiving the folder structure is necessary to allow for the importing of content if the folder structure changes or is deleted.
Archiver: Add Archive - Actions
Save: Saves the Archive
Reset: Clears the fields and resets the Archive Folder Structure check box
2. Add or Edit the parameters for your Archive
From the Action menu of the Archive you've created select the Action Add/Edit Parameters. If you are editing parameters of an existing Archive
The Archive Parameters window is laid out like a Query Builder Search. For this example we will be Archiving all old Resumes from before 2006. If you'd like to build a more complex search for your archive read the Query Builder Search documentation.
Knowing that we have a Subtype for Resumes we can select the parameter of Subtype matches Resumes. Use the Select button to find the Resumes Subtype and click OK.
* Make sure the Value filed fills with the appropriate value.
Since we only want Resumes from prior to 2006 we will add the additional parameter of Release Date prior to January 1, 2007. Click the green + sign to add your next parameter.
The quantifier of And and Before are very important to the results. If we selected Or the search would look for any document before January 1, 2007.
Select your Results Options
Latest Revision Only: only the latest revision of the document will be archived.
Include Folder Images: will include any folder images you've checked in
Archive Web and Native Content: will include both the converted document and the native document in the Archive
Include Expired Content: the Archive will include any Expired Content that are included in your parameters. Learn more about Expired Content
Once you've identified all your Parameters and your Result Options you can preview your results before you save it to validate the Archive is what you are looking for. The preview will open in a new tab.
Once you are satisfied with your results Save your Archive. Actions>Save this will take you back to the Manage Content: Archiver window.
3. Exporting your Archive
To export your archive go to the Actions for your Archive and click Export.
4. Finalizing your Export
You have a few choices on your export. Check the boxes that make sense for your export and then click Actions > Export Archive.
- Delete revisions after successful archive: this will remove all revisions of the content of your archive from SmartCabinet.
- Archive Folder Structure: Archiving the folder structure is necessary to allow for the importing of content if the folder structure changes or is deleted.
- Run Archive Off Hours: will queue your Archive to run after evening hours. This is recommended if possible.
5. Zipping your Archive
You have the availability to ZIP your Archive by going to the Archives Actions > Archive Results.
From the Archive Results under the Actions for your Folders folder and Zip Folder.
6. Locating your Archive on the FTP site
Once your Export has processed you can find your Archive out on the FTP site. Please contact SmartCabinet Support for the FTP information if you don't have it. Drill down to the folder you'd like to take off the FTP Site.
Content will remain on the FTP site for seven (7) days.